How many accidents do you think happen every year in Los Angeles? 50? 75? 100? The actual number might surprise you. Every year, more than 200 people are killed while trying to move within our city, meaning that every 40 hours, a person is killed. This unsatisfying and chilling statistic makes our city one of the most unsafe places in the US for pedestrians. Having said this, having or knowing a good car accident lawyer in Los Angeles is imperative. But, just how much can a car accident lawyer in Los Angeles help you or a loved one if you have suffered from a car accident?
Causes of Car Accidents in Los Angeles
In 2017, the L.A. Transportation Department’s general manager, Seleta Reynolds, cited an increase in driving as one of the many reasons for the rising number of deaths due to car accidents in Los Angeles. Another thing that may be causing so many car accidents, according to Reynolds, can be that drivers are also facing more distractions in their cars, such as having electronic devices in our vehicles that may steal our attention from the road.
In addition to not being aware of our surroundings while we drive, speed is an important factor that plays a huge role when it comes to car accidents. When struck by a moving car at 20mph, the chances of a pedestrian surviving are actually an optimistic 10%, but the risk of death increases to a whopping 80% when that same vehicle is coming towards us now at 40mph, according to a federal study of crash data. But, sadly, speeding is not the only cause of traffic accidents in Los Angeles. Most car accidents are caused by the following:
- Driving late at night
- Aggressive driving
- Drinking and driving
- Texting while driving
- Fatigued Driving
- Following too closely
But, just how bad are car accidents in Los Angeles? Do you actually need a car accident lawyer in Los Angeles?
Car Accidents in Los Angeles: Statistics
Did you know that in 2016, the number of car accidents in Los Angeles sky rocketed by nearly 20% to 55,350? And in 2017, despite the effort of the Vision Zero initiative, the number of car accidents have stopped or lowered – they’re absolutely tragic. In that year, more than 92,000 Angelenos were injured or killed as the result of a traffic collision, out of about 60,000 total accidents. Although initiatives like these take aim at the problem in hopes of mitigating it veen by a few percent, the harsh reality is that it is an ingrained, societal problem in this city that will take massive action and cooperation to overcome.
So, is there something you can do in order to be safe when it comes to car accidents? Is it really necessary to contact a car accident lawyer in Los Angeles?
What can you do if you have been a victim of a car accident in Los Angeles?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are certain things you can do to protect yourself and your interests. Have in mind the following steps you should take when in a car accident:
- Stop the car: Never attempt to drive away from the scene, even if it’s a minor one or you are the victim.
- Protect the scene: You can prevent further accidents by setting up flares, or even by keeping your flashers on.
- Call the Police: Even if the accident doesn’t seem serious or there are no fatal victims or injuries, you should always call the police. Having a police report is always important, especially if you proceed with a Los Angeles Car Accident lawyer.
- Make an accurate record: When the police arrive, make sure you are telling everything, and we mean EVERYTHING. Tell the police exactly what happened, in what order and don’t leave out any important details. If you don’t know certain facts, never speculate, guess or misstate any of the facts. And most importantly, if you are asked if you have been injured and you’re not quite sure, say you’re not sure instead of saying no. Why is this important? Because most injuries from motor accidents become apparent hours after the actual collision, or even days after.
- Take as many pictures as possible: If you happen to have a dash cam (video camera in your vehicle) you should always save all footage that can help you trace the events of the accident. If you happen to have visible injuries, you should photograph these as well. However, never interfere with the on-going police investigation.
- Protect your rights: Perhaps the most important thing you should do after an accident is to consult your attorney. They will do everything that is in their hands in order to protect your rights and make sure valuable evidence is not destroyed and that you get the most out of your car accident. Your attorney can advise you on issues, ranging from how to make sure you are fully compensated for your vehicle to how to make sure you are getting the best medical treatment available. Personal injury lawyers, like Kirakosian Law, work on contingency fees, meaning there is no legal fee unless the attorney recovers compensation for your injuries. Knowing a great car accident lawyer in Los Angeles is very important.
Kirakosian Law and You
The sooner you contact our law firm, the sooner we can begin a comprehensive personal injury case on your behalf. You do not deserve to take on the financial impacts of someone else’s dangerous driving. Having a car accident lawyer in Los Angeles is key and we can help you. Contact us as soon as possible to schedule your free case evaluation and initial consultation today. Kirakosian law is here to help you.